Verse To Live By

Make it your ambition
to lead a quiet life
to mind your own business
and to work with your hands...

So that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders

And so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

I Thessalonians 4:11-12

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Some Steps to Finishing Well

Today I will address the "Finishing Well" portion of my blog.  I've been asking God, in my "retirement", what I should do.  He informs me that I should take life one day at a time, and as each day unfolds simply be obedient.  Well, today's scripture reading from Ephesians 5 gave some pretty specific instructions from Him.  Thought I would share some of that passage and how it spoke to me.

Follow God's example in everything you do because you are his dear children.  Live a life filled with love for others, following the example of Christ, who loves you and gave himself as a sacrifice to take away your sin.  (vs 1-2)
Try to find out what is pleasing to the Lord.  (vs 10)
So be careful how you live, not as fools but as those who are wise.  Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days.  Don't act thoughtlessly, but try to understand what the Lord wants you to do.  (vs 15-17)
...let the Holy Spirit fill and control you.   (vs 18b)

So here is my summary of what God expects of me each day:

  1. be an example of Christ's love
  2. please the Lord by living wisely
  3. do good to others, being filled and controlled by the Holy Spirit
A three-step plan for Finishing Well.  Think I'll try it...how about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment