Verse To Live By

Make it your ambition
to lead a quiet life
to mind your own business
and to work with your hands...

So that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders

And so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

I Thessalonians 4:11-12

Monday, August 4, 2014

How to Maximize Time

Inspirational Challenge

I have a devotional booklet that I read daily in which the segments are only half a page long, use one scripture verse, and often make valid points to ponder.  The booklet is called "The Word for You Today".  Yesterday's article focused on how to make your time count, stemming off from a verse found in Psalm 39:6:  All our busy rushing ends in nothing.

To maximize time, the author suggests:

  1. Make Lists - what you want to accomplish this week
  2. Consult Your Schedule First - to maintain realistic goals
  3. Prioritize - focus on your highest priority, working on the rest as time permits
  4. Delegate - ask for assistance
  5. Identify Extenuating Circumstances - at challenging times, allow yourself permission to not feel guilty for letting some things go undone
  6. Learn to Let Go - if it's been on the list a long time, it may not be that important
When life is demanding, I do makes lists.  When I go shopping, I have a list.  I make a weekly menu and develop my list from that.  When we are getting low on a household item, it goes on the list.  My daily calendar has a list of events, special days, and appointments.  Life in retirement is simpler for me, and my lists are simpler, but I still swear by them.  It's the only way for me to stay organized.

Psalm 39:4 says:  Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.  Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away.

Makes me recall a poem I read in my earlier years, though I am sure I am not quoting it exactly:

The days of my life will soon be past.
Only what's done for Christ will last.

So, for me, I keep life simple by focusing each day on those things that count most.  I keep my goal in sight, which is to please Christ and finish well.


No comments:

Post a Comment