Verse To Live By

Make it your ambition
to lead a quiet life
to mind your own business
and to work with your hands...

So that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders

And so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

I Thessalonians 4:11-12

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

An Apple a Day....

Food Inspiration

I have tried to make it a life time habit to eat an apple every evening, although I slipped for a couple of years.  Now I'm back on that kick, just because I know my constitution needs it.  I reread an article this week that reminds me of the benefits of eating an apple a day.  Let me share them...

  •  Apples are packed with fiber...about 20% of your daily nutritional value.
  • Apples require that you chew them, which gives your body time to register that you are getting full.
  • Apples have natural sweeteners in them to keep blood sugar and insulin levels satisfied, instead of getting the quick rush of sugary snacks which quickly crash.
  • Apples help protect the lungs, helping to lower the risk of developing asthma, cancer, and other diseases.
  • Apples have pectin and poly phenols which help lower cholesterol, helping to lower the risk of artery-clogging plaque.  Eating the peel enhances that benefit by 2-6 times.
  • Apples have been known to curb the growth of cancer cells, especially when the peel is also eaten.
  • Apples make you smarter, it is claimed, because of a chemical (acetylcholine) that is produced that transmits messages between the nerve cells.  This is good to keep the aging brain sharper, and lessen the risk of getting Alzheimer's disease.
Wow, with all of these benefits on top of the good taste of an apple, why wouldn't I want to eat one a day, if not more??  I wonder how apple pie rates?  Apple crisp?  Apple tarts/turnovers?  Just kidding....keep it simple.  Just eat an apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment